Friday, March 18, 2016

Taking Stock: What does it all mean?

So, I’ve taken a look at all of my stuff, and I have come to the conclusion that I may be focusing too much on creating game content, and not focusing enough on gaming content. What I mean is that I am writing rules for play, without writing any actual play time material. In short, I think maybe I should try my hand at writing adventures.

And not only adventures for my own games, but for other games out there. Right now I am in love with 5E. And with the DM’s Guild rules, I could write some of those adventures I have run in the past, and ones I have imagined running, and have a built-in audience who might actually enjoy them.

I think my hesitance to write adventures stems from my long-standing tradition of making my own stuff up. As a GM I have almost always run games based on my own idea. I think I may have only run about two published modules in my life.

I own plenty of published adventures, for lots of game systems and genres. And I have been a player in many game based on such modules. But I’ve never really tried my hand at actually just writing a module. So, I’ll probably start there.

The other thing I might try to do is to stop trying to “re-invent the wheel.” I mean, take Mutants & Marvels. Other than the initial wonky idea of updating the old MSH game, there was no reason for me to do it. There are dozens of supers games out there, allowing for every taste and sensibility in gaming styles. To be honest, the gaming world didn’t (and probably doesn’t) need another one.

I might also try collaborating with others occasionally. So far all of my stuff has been on my own, with input from a few friends. Doing something truly collaborative might be fun. It would certainly relieve some of the pressure of being a one-man-show.

I’d also love to be able to write for an established company. So, if any of those are listening, consider my self-published library a CV of sorts.

So, anyone got any thoughts, opinions, or ideas?

2 comments:

  1. @ Tom:

    Having a similar kind of "brain drain" the last week or so ("what am I doing here?"), most of the feedback I've received is "create more adventures." So you're probably on the right track.

    That being said, if you HAVE systems you've designed, people want to see those systems supported. Creating adventures for 5E may be more profitable (because folks are already playing it), but creating gaming content for your own designs may be better long term (and may be more satisfying, too).

    Regardless, you probably want to stick with what you know and like: orcs. Always room for good orc-stuff out there.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right. Hmmm, maybe start with some Orc-centric adventures, and then move into some supers stuff. I might be able to do that. :)

      Delete