Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Zine-O-Morph

That's the name of my RPG Fanzine. Why? Because I like it. And it kind of plays on several different genres and tropes, if you think too much about it.

Anyways, the first issue is underway. I have the basic layout and outline that each issue will follow, some idea of how the artwork will go, and am chugging along on the content. For an advance (I mean REALLY advance) peak inside, each issue will contain the following sections:

• Letter from the Editor
• Generic article that can be adapted to multiple Editions/Systems
• New monster/race/class for a specific Edition/System
• New Magic items/Spells/Technology
• Simple adventure using the new monster/race
• Short fiction related to genre theme

So far, the Letter from the Editor is done, and the New monster/race/class is done. I'm not ready to reveal what the theme is yet, but I think it will be interesting. I certainly had fun mining my personal knowledge and some resources for the content of the new monster section.

Tonight I will probably sit down with Photoshop and come up with a logo, and probably a standard cover layout. Something I'm toying with is the idea of using a different font for the cover of each issue. One that reflects the genre being focused on. Or, I might do that for the cover text, but leave the logo in a standard font.

I'm also considering putting in some kind of "ad space" for other indie publications. Other zines, products, etc., al free of charge. Not sure how I will work that, but I thought it would be a cool idea.

So, there you go. Zine-O-Morph is revving up!

2 comments: