Thursday, April 3, 2014

Looking to the future

Our current 3.5 game is starting to wind down. Our DM thinks we are about 80-90% through what he had planned for us. Of course, considering that the campaign has been going on for about three years in Real Time, that could mean four or five more months of gaming. But, in either case, I find myself looking towards what comes next.

Before I moved to Wisconsin, I lived in San Diego. There I was part of a gaming group that met every Tuesday night (and a few of us also got together on Saturdays as well). Our group was such that we didn’t get overly attached to any single game or campaign, and as such our longest might have lasted maybe a year. Usually we would play for a couple of months (sometimes only a couple of weeks), and then decide as a group to play something else.

We varied our systems, our genres, and even who GM’d. To me, this was comfortable. So, when I came here, and things were different it threw me off. First of all, it took a long while before we managed to get a regular game going. We had a false start with Vampire, and then an attempt at 3.5, followed by two attempts at 4E. After that it looked like it was never going to happen. Then my wife’s HS friend decided it was time to run a campaign he had been nursing for years.

So, for the past few years we have been traipsing around a variation of our own world, populated with fantasy races, monsters and gods. We have fought demons, assassins, dragons, plague-bearing rat men, and all manner of beasts and foes. Each of us has had some life-altering encounter with a deity, some more so than others, and we have a vested interest in seeing this war end.

But, as a player, I am ready to move on. After this weekend, I realized that I love variation. As attached as I am to my character, I want to play different things. Even if it is just a different D&D game. I have had moments where I am willing to run something, and I have plenty of ideas for that. But, when it comes down to it, I’m a player. And enjoy being in front of the Screen more than being behind it.

So, here’s hoping that, when this Plague War ends, we can retire these heroes, and roll up new characters to have grand new adventures with.

No comments:

Post a Comment