Wednesday, July 3, 2013

What’s Next…?

My regular, bi-weekly 3.5E game is on hold while the DM is off gallivanting around the galaxy (and by “galaxy” I mean on vacation in Japan with the family).  We will probably resume in a few weeks.  We were left with a nice little cliffhanger, and my character can almost taste the ubersword that we came to this phantasmal island looking for.  Too bad that bastard minotaur (who was my friend at one time) got here first…

Anyways, in the meantime, my other friend has taken it upon himself to start up a less formal campaign, set in Greyhawk, and using the D&D Next playtest documents.  At first I was kind of “meh” about it.  I had a cool concept for a 3.5 character, using a variant class from Unearthed Arcana.  But, now that we have officially settled on Next, I have rethought that.

My current character concept is that of a Hill Dwarf Monk, who will probably serve as the bodyguard for my wife’s character.  Although she is playing a ranger in our current game, she is more inclined towards the “squishy” classes, and I would be willing to bet she plays a wizard.  Which is cool, because she’s good at it.  I’m usually the burly fighter/barbarian type, so playing a monk should be a nice change.  Though still technically a combat monster, it’ll be from a different angle.

As a long-time fan of martial arts, I have played a couple of monks in the past.  However, they’ve always been humans, so being a dwarf presents some challenges, IMO.  Not so much with the mechanics.  The rules work regardless of race.  However, in my mind a dwarf monk would be aesthetically different due to his height, and the personality of dwarf characters.

So, the way I will play him is that he is laconic, and neutral.  He tends to remain quiet and take in all that he sees and hears, and only then will he be forthcoming with advice or ideas.  His fighting style will be nearly bereft of kicks, relying on mostly hand-techniques.  I imagine him using a style similar to a combination of Wing Chun and Hung Gar Kung Fu.

Interestingly, the Next Monk chooses a Monastic Tradition, and the four styles they list in the playtest analogous to Spirit, Fire, Air and Earth.  Four of the five elements of traditional Eastern philosophies.  I assume that when the final product comes out, this list will be expanded a lot.  But right now, it’s almost as if they are hinting at the various nations of the Avatar: The Last Airbender.  I’m going to go with Fire Nation.

So, yeah, I’m kind of excited to get started on this.  And I’m sure I’m annoying everyone in the Facebook group.

No comments:

Post a Comment