Thursday, August 22, 2013

Has it all been done?

Remeber a couple of posts back when I talked about duplicating efforts? I had decided to take my action/adventure RPG in a sci-fi direction, with a twist, adding in tactical play as an element to the RPG part. Well, this morning I just suddenly realized that even THAT has already been done. Remember a little game called Heavy Gear? Yeah, I have the core rulebook and a few splats. I have no idea why I didn't think of it before.

To be fair, my game is a slightly different take on it. I don't have mechs. Ok, that's about the only difference. Oy.

Ah, well, I have gone too far to turn back now. I have the core rules down, and just need to add some descriptions and flavor text, and stat out equipment. So, once I do that I think I'll turn my attention to creating a fully realized setting. That will probably be the stronger selling point. And even then, the game will be cheap, probably coming in around $5 or less for the PDF.

But one thing this whole exercise has brought to my mind is the fact that it seems like everything has already been done. I am extremely hard-pressed to come up with any original ideas. The best I seem to be able to manage is a slightly altered take on something someone else has already done. But, I think that's just the nature of creative endeavors. We stand on the shoulders of those who came before us, and try to add our own unique stamp on things.

So, I suppose I should be happy with that. Because, in that arena, I think I do pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment