Friday, July 26, 2013

10 Questions

I saw these on another blog and thought it was interesting.  So, I decided to give it a go.

(1). Race (Elf, Dwarf, Halfling) as a class? Yes or no?
Yes and No.  I like the idea, but I think there needs to be some variations and expansions.  For instance, a dwarf "thief" wouldn't be the same as a human thief.  So, why not have a "thief-like" variation of the dwarf class?

(2). Do demi-humans have souls?
Of course.  Doesn't everyone?

(3). Ascending or descending armor class?
Ascending.  I don't care for looking at tables during combat.

(4). Demi-human level limits?
Not sure.  I'd probably be ok with them...until I wasn't.  In either case, I think they were too restrictive back in the day.

(5). Should thief be a class?
Yes.  Although I like the 3E way of referring to them as "rogues" better.  It's just a certain set of skills that may or may not be used for stealing stuff.

(6). Do characters get non-weapon skills?
I think a good RPG should have some kind of skill system in place, though I don't think it needs to be all that complex.

(7). Are magic-users more powerful than fighters (and, if yes, what level do they take the lead)?
They have the potential to be.  It just depends on a wide variety of factors.

(8). Do you use alignment languages?
Nope.  Never have.  I like alignments, but the "language" part always seemed kind of dumb to me.

(9). XP for gold, or XP for objectives (thieves disarming traps, etc...)?
No XP for gold per se, but rather for the actions it takes to acquire the gold.  XP is supposed to represent your character learning from his "Experience."  What does he learn from finding a pile of unguarded gold?

(10). Which is the best edition; ODD, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer, Rules Cyclopedia, 1E ADD, 2E ADD, 3E ADD, 4E ADD, Next ?
I like all of the ones I have played, for different reasons (mainly for the memories they evoke).  But for pure fun factor, I like 3.5 and Moldvay.

Bonus Question: Unified XP level tables or individual XP level tables for each class?
I kind of like unified, though I can certainly see the arguments for individual tables.

No comments:

Post a Comment