Friday, March 14, 2014

Life of Rage - The End is in sight!

Over the course of the last couple of weeks, I have been inspired by the idea of converting my Life of Rage supplement into a full-on retro-clone. To that end, I made a list of the things I would need to add to it to reach that goal. As of today, I am nearly there.

Right now, I am only lacking the descriptions of the 42 monsters I am including, some Wandering Monster Tables, a character sheet, a sample adventure, and, of course, 13 pieces of art.

The art will, as always, be the hardest part for me. I have it in my head that I want to do it myself. I have a style in mind. One that reflects my views of the game; half tongue-in-cheek, half gritty serious. The style will be somewhat cartoonish, but still somewhat R-rated (no nudity though, cuz who needs that?). One of the pieces of art will be a map of the Dark Coast, my default setting included with the game. Plus I will need a cover. Though I will probably use one of the better interior pieces as a base, and colorize it for that purpose.

Right now the file is 50 pages long. Once I add what is missing, I imagine it will be 60-65 pages. I think that's a pretty good count for a B/X-styled game.

This is actually pretty exciting for me. I've wanted to be a game-designer for years. And thanks to the Internet and the opportunities for self-publishing that exist now, I kind of am one. What would be really cool is if one of the major companies took notice and invited me to work for them (even if in a minor way).

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your game. The process is kind of like physical training for your brain (I was reading your fitness blog). Keep us updated on the progress.

    ReplyDelete