Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The slavers return…?

So I posted on the Facebook page of my regular gaming group (what did we do before social media?) about the possibility of the next campaign using Castles & Crusades, and running the 2E “adventure path” of Slavers. As you can see by the picture they seem to be made for each other.

The reaction was non-existent at first. In fact, it’s what it has always been when I suggest anything beyond what we are currently playing. I complained (whined) to my wife about it, since she is in my group too. So she commented that she approved. I guess I’ll take that as at least a nibble, since I know she’ll play anyways. Then one of the other players “liked” the status. Wow! That’s the most positive feedback I’ve gotten yet!

Anyways, I’m not sure if it will ever come to fruition. My group is kind of stodgy, and they seem so resistant to change or, Gods forbid, a step “backwards” in gaming systems. Regardless, I’ll probably read through the adventure materials, and do some preparations, just in case. If nothing else, it will be good practice. I’m really rusty with being a DM, and all that entails.

As to the previously discussed idea about adding some kind of skills system, I have been doing some research. I’ve found a few resources for adding skills from 3E, WP/NWP from 2E, and some original ideas. A lot of them sound cool, but not exactly what I’m looking for. So, I have kind of an idea in my head. Let me see if I can get it down in writing here…

• Each class has a specific list of skills that are associated with it. When using these skills, the character adds his class level to any roll.

• When attempting to use a skill not in his class list, he does not add any class levels to the roll.

• At every 3rd level (3, 6, 9, etc.) he may add one skill from another class’ list to his own.

Possible additional conditions:
• Only add ½ of the character’s level to the roll – It occurs to me that as the character gets higher, this roll becomes ungodly easy. So, adding only half (rounded up) kind of mitigates that a bit.

• Must have a teacher – Non-class skills need to be learned from someone who has the skill as a class skill. This could be a PC or NPC. Training time would be up to the DM.

And that’s it in a nutshell. I think it’s simple enough to mesh with C&C, but complex enough to allow for some customization and a bit more concrete rules for skill use.

No comments:

Post a Comment