Monday, July 21, 2014

Success!

As of this morning, I have already sold more copies of Mutants & Marvels than I expected. That is very cool! Hopefully some of those who buy it will have nice to things to say, and will actually say them at RPGNow (reviews!). I would love to hear what people actually think of it (good or bad).

In related news, I set up the game to print at Lulu.com, just so I could print a physical copy for myself without resorting to flimsy copy paper covers. And now I have decided to make that public. So, if you want a physical copy, you can order it through Lulu for the low price of $9.99 (see the link to the right).

Just be aware that the physical copy is 6"x9". I did a test print at that size and it looks fine. Making it bigger threatened to triple the costs.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Just a question though. Is there any reason you went with Lulu instead of using RPGNow's own print on demand service?

    Given the size of the rule book, you could print it full sized and with a full color interior for less than your Lulu asking price for the smaller one (or you could print it at the smaller size for even less).

    We print the softcover issues of the Frontier Explorer that way using the Premium Color option as we want the saddle stitch binding (plus standard color wasn't available when we started). Each issue is about the same size as your rules and comes to around $7 to print (we sell them at cost). If you use standard color (for which I have no examples and so can't say anything about quality) printing a softcover set of your rules would come out to about $3.00 and a hardcover version would be ~$8.

    Anyway, I was just curious what prompted Lulu over RPGNow's POD service?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to look into that. I had heard rumors that the quality of products wasn't very good. But, if you endorse it, I'll probably have to give it a look. I just went with Lulu because I had put together a project through them before and it turned out really good, and for a decent price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only experience is, like I said, with their premium color softback product at the 8.5x11 size and I think it's really nice. It's a heavy paper weight so it is fairly durable. My only other experience is with the POD cards at DriveThruCards and those are great as well. Of course I've never printed anything at Lulu so I can't compare. I just know that for what we wanted to do with Frontier Explorer, Lulu was much more expensive.

    ReplyDelete