Friday, November 21, 2014

The State of Things

Since Gamehole Con, things have been kind of stagnant for me personally, at least from a gaming standpoint. Our 3.5e campaign trucks on, and is nearing its climax. The last session was a bit of a downer, especially when compared to the previous one. Ahnuld almost got taken down my a demon. That in itself is no big surprise. But considering that in the previous session he had stood toe-to-toe with a Balor, the outcome of a mere Merelith's attacks was disappointing. But, in all honesty, I just had a night of crappy rolls. So, there's that.

Anyways, now that we're all starting to see the horizon in this campaign, we're starting to finally look, as a group, beyond it. For months I have been trying to spark interest in some new ideas that I can work into campaigns myself. Usually these involve a deviation from the standard fantasy, and into such genres as Espionage, Superheroes, and Science Fantasy. All of these ideas were met with reactions that average out to a shrug and a "Meh."

I was starting to come to the conclusion that my group just has no interest in anything beyond fantasy. And this was confirmed when my wife offered to run the Dragon Age RPG, and everyone was immediately on board for it. She had run a game at Gamehole, and one of our regular players sat in on it. And after she got excited, her excitement spread throughout the group. So, it is more or less official that Dragon Age will be our next game. Which, honestly, I'm totally cool with. My wife is a great storyteller (from the World of Darkness tradition). So, I know it will be fun and exciting.

Additionally, she assures me that her campaign will not be as extensive as our current one (which has been going on for 4 or so years in real time now). And that she would like to break it up with other games, of other genres, just to keep things interesting. So, even though no one has embraced my ideas, there's still a chance they may come into the light someday. We'll have to see.

In the meantime, I've been working on getting through with school, which has left me with very little time and energy for writing RPG stuff. I'm hoping to be able to remedy that. I still want to get Zine-O-Morph #2 out by the end of the year. I need to get some artwork done, and write a sample adventure that follows my theme of Military Sci-Fi. I'm also looking at future issue ideas, including one on Pulp-inspired Adventure, and one on Historical Adventure.

I'm also rolling some ideas around for an expansion for Mutants & Marvels that will include some ideas others have suggested, as well as some ideas that were initially scrapped, but I think might find some interest. To date, M&M is one of my most consistent sellers, so there is obviously some interest. I just wish people who bought it would review it...

But right now, during my down time at work, I need to pound out a short research paper on the Literature of the Scottish Reformation. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment