Friday, February 13, 2015

Gary Con 2015 – The Schedule

 
Well, we’re all registered for our games at Gray Con this year.  The up side is I have 22 hours of official gaming scheduled, plus another 2-3 hours of my own private game with my gaming group, most of whom will be at the Con.

The down side is that I didn’t get into any of the games that I had wanted.  In fact, I didn’t even get into games in the genres that I had wanted.  This year it was my intent to avoid high fantasy as much as possible, and aim for supers, sci-fi, and maybe some modern/spy.  That meant no D&D or any of its clones or direct competitors.  In this, I had a 90% failure rate.

The five games I got into are a D&D 3.5 game, an AD&D 2E game, a Dungeon Crawl Classics game, an Empire of the Petal Throne game, and a Castles & Crusades game.  The only thing that keeps my stated goal from being a 100% failure is that the DCC game is actually a post-apocalypse game in a world that I believe is based on the world of Thundarr the Barbarian (“Under the Broken Moon”).  Which is actually pretty awesome, honestly.

I blame Gary Con’s registration system.  It’s kind of clunky and unwieldy to begin with.  And when you add to that the fact that it obviously didn’t like my iPad…well, at one point I got pissed and rage-quit.  It didn’t help that I was trying (unsuccessfully) to watch Agent Carter during the time.  And finally, there was the expected rush on registrations, so the servers were pretty bogged down the whole time.

But, I am trying to stay positive about it.  And really, that’s not too difficult.  All of the games I got into sound pretty cool.  The Petal Throne game is a nice throwback to the origins of the hobby.  And I know of at least one of my friends who will be in a game with me.  Sadly, my wife and I have no games together.  But, we’re cool with that.  It just means we’ll have more stories to tell each other afterwards.

I’m thinking about ordering some print copies of Mutants & Marvels to sell, if anyone is interested.  I might also get a T-shirt made from the cover image.  You just never know.  Either way, I’ll probably still do the T-shirt, simply because I like the design.

So, anyone else going to Gary Con?

No comments:

Post a Comment