Friday, May 8, 2015

M&M nonsense

So, the sales numbers for M&M 2.0 are...underwhelming.  But, I suppose I expected that.  With the way I published it, the majority of sales that I have gotten have been for the previous edition, and all of those people got the upgrade for free.  This only seemed fair, since otherwise people who liked it would have had to buy it twice.  So, I don't regret the decision.  Just...eh.  Just whining, I suppose.

Anyways, I'm already laying some groundwork for the first official supplement.  This will be several articles on alternate rules, rules additions, and some pre-made, ready to play characters.  My current idea is to present them with backgrounds and everything, but add in Hero and Villain options.  This way the Referee can decide how the character fits into his unique world.  I'm calling the whole thing Mutants & Marvels Unlimited.  I think that sounds suitably comic booky.

Interestingly, when I ask for suggestions for things to do, I get a lot of people asking for adventures.  I'm sensing there is a niche market here.  The downside is, I'm not very good at writing adventures.  It takes a certain skill set that I am, frankly, underdeveloped in.  But, I think I have some ideas.  Chances are, I will take the characters I create for Unlimited, and build adventures around them.

But, related to that, since the game was originally built around the OGL, this opens it up for others to write and publish their own adventures.  In fact, I'm thinking of creating some kind of mechanism where people can write adventures, send them to me, and I can format and publish them, and we would split the profits, with the majority going to the writer.  DwD Studios has a thing like this in place for their Covert Ops line.

I'll have to give that some thought, and figure out the legalities and mechanics of how it would work first, though.

And finally, I expect to have my proof copy of the PoD version in my hands within the next week or so.  That's pretty exciting!

2 comments:

  1. Part of teh problem with writing adventures for a supers game is that power sets could well vary within the genre. For example, you could design an adventure for gritty-level street campaign where the players have to clear a building to get to the hostage on the top floor. A low-powered super with flight can bypass the building (if one tries to adapt it for regular supers).

    Even a gritty campaign might see that problem; a hero could have a James Bond style jetpack. Or the players could hijack a police helicopter to get to the roof. This is not the same as writing an adventure for fantasy wehere you have 4 basic archetypes to plan for. In a supers setting, each character tends to be somewhat unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a very good point. that may be what holds me back from trying my hand at it. If you try to use a published adventure, you have 2 options, as I see it. You can either go in and edit the adventure to fit the group your players create, in order to make it challenging and fun for everyone. Or you can hand out pregens that will fit with the adventure as written. the former is almost as much work as writing your own adventure from scratch, and the latter takes a lot of the creativity out of the Players' hands. Either way, it's a potential lose-lose.

      Delete