Thursday, April 2, 2015

Mutants & Marvels Walk-Thru

I opened up my blog page this morning, and was pleasantly surprised to see the cover of Mutants & Marvels sitting on my blog feed (over to the right, there).  So, of course I clicked through, and it turns out Realms of Chirak is doing a walk-thru of the game.  Sounds like he is enjoying it so far.  And better yet for my view, he's helping me see the weak points that I need to shore up for the new revision.  Thanks, Nicholas!

On a related note, I was jotting down some ideas I had for replacing the 1d20 mechanic with a 2d10 mechanic that should, statistically speaking, have similar results.  After walking through the possibilities, and incorporating ideas from various other systems, I like the flexibility of using 2d10 exclusively.  Lately, I have been enjoying the idea of using a single die-type for an entire game.  I admit that I love D&D for its use of all of them (which, I found out this past weekend, DCC takes even further), but there's something nice about having a single die, or in this case three dice, on the table, and that's it.

My original intent was to replace the d20 mechanic with a 2d10 mechanic in M&M.  But, I think I will leave it alone, and find somewhere else to use 2d10.  I have been flirting with a few other ideas for games, so it might fit into one of those.

Another interesting development in my scattered brain is the fact that during Gary Con, I was inspired with ideas for adventures to run using various games and systems.  While I was playing the 2E game, there was a guy running a Battletech/MechWarrior game at a nearby table, and it sounded like a lot of fun.  Which made me think of a Sci Fi scenario that I think would be cool.  I could also provide minis for use with it, which might make it extra cool.  I also revisited the starting adventure for an old campaign idea that I could use as a short one-shot.

I'm not sure if I am ready to run games for strangers (I'm pretty introverted IRL), but I might be able to get my gaming group to do a couple of one-offs in between our current campaign and the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment