Saturday, September 7, 2013

D&D 30 Day Challenge - Day 7: Favorite Edition

Let me preface my answer with the statement that I actually like all editions.  Even 4E, though it ranks at the bottom.  Every edition, and every retroclone I have read, has something I like about it.  And in the end, it's all D&D to me.

That being said, I would probably place 3.5 at the top of the heap.  I like the flexibility, the potential for customization, and the overall cinematic feel.  Is it perfect? No.  But none of the editions are.  If any were, there would never be another edition, and "homebrew" and "House rules" wouldn't even be terms associated with D&D.

The only downfall is all of the excess that came with the OGL.  There's a glut of information and options to the point where it turns people off.  I honestly don't understand that, as NONE of it is mandatory.  Personally, I could be happy with just the PHB, and maybe a splat book or two, for any given game.

No comments:

Post a Comment