Sunday, September 1, 2013

D&D 30 Day Challenge - Day 1 How you got started


(Ok, I'm cheating a little here, since the first part of this is copied/pasted from the intro to Basic Arcana 2.0...but why re-invent the wheel, right?)

I began my life-long journey in Role-Playing Games in 1981.  I was in the sixth grade, and had just moved back to my hometown in northern California to stay with my grandparents while my mom went into the Air Force.  One day a new friend of mine held up a strange red book with a picture of a sorceress, a warrior, and a dragon on the cover, and asked me “Do you play this?"

To which I responded “What’s that?”

The rest is history.

The first adventure I completed was a solo-run through of A1-Slave Pits of the Undercity.  It was my birthday that year and my grandparents had bought me the Moldvay Basic Set.  Knowing I was getting that, my friend Jeff asked his mom to get me a module.  Not knowing the difference between Basic and AD&D, she bought me A1.  We just shrugged and went with it.

I remember it being very fun, but I remember very few actual details.  I do remember that Jeff added in a Gold Dragon to help me out, as I was going solo.  All in all, it was a fantastic adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Moldvay Basic was the way to go. Loved and still love that red book.

    ReplyDelete